Illinois Heroin Crisis Act
- Enacted January 2016
- All pharmacies to dispense an opioid overdose antidote like naloxone without a Rx.
- Requires fireman, police, EMT’s & school nurses to carry the drug and receive training how to use it.
- Mandatory reporting of drug overdose by coroners & medical examiners to health dept.
- Establish new drug programs in schools.
- The bill amends drug court programs to keep users in treatment and out of jail.
- Provides insurance coverage for heroin/opioid antidotes.
- Requires medicaid to pay for medication based treatments.
- Upgrade the prescription monitoring programs
911 Good Samaritan overdose Law
- Enacted in 2012
- grants immunity to anyone who calls 911 to report an overdose seeking medical services.