- Al-Anon: al-anon.org
- Northern Illinois Al-anon: niafg.org
- Families Anonymous: familiesanonymous.org
- Heroin Anonymous: www.heroinanonymous.org
- Chicago Area Heroin Anonymous: heroinanonymous chicago
- Narcotics Anonymous: www.na.org
- Cocaine Anonymous: www.ca.org
- Chicago Area Narcotics Anonymous: www.chicagona.org
- Alcoholics Anonymous: www.aa.org
- Chicago Area Alcoholics Anonymous: www.chicagoaa.org
Useful Information / Links
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration: http://www.samhsa.gov/
- Choose Help — Illinois Drug Rehab and Alcohol Rehabilitation Programs: http://www.choosehelp.com/illinois
Where can I get help?
My first step was doing research on the internet about heroin & Chicago. Try to talk to addicts friends or parents and others in the same situation. Take care of yourself! Research different local treatments (preferably inpatient). Go to an Al-anon, Family Anonymous meeting. Encourage your family and friends to go to in order to help you. Check out the Resources for more specific information regarding the Chicago area.
What do I do if a loved one is an addict?
Try talking to the addict. Get a counselor or other loved ones involved. Try to get the addict into treatment and whatever you do, DO NOT ENABLE them.
What are the signs of heroin addiction?
- change in behavior
- small pupils
- increased sleeping
- not following rules
- skipping school
- sneaking out of the house
- distancing away from family
- not caring attitude
- change in grooming, friends, and behavior
- finding drug paraphernalia, such as needles, spoon, lighters, or bottle caps
- stolen money or items